We have reached our maximum funding for this program. We will still be accepting applications at this time for future funding. You will be put on a waitlist for a first-come, first-serve basis. Thank you.
The DSAFIE (Defensible Space Assistance For Income-Eligible) helps low-income seniors and physically disabled persons adhere to defensible space regulations. If you are physically and financially unable to maintain the state-mandated 100’ of defensible space around your home, our Defensible Space Assistance For Income-Eligible Program may help.
DSAFIE Services May Include:
• Brush and tree trimming/thinning.
• Raking of dead leaves and pine needles.
• Chipping of removed vegetation (potentialy). Chips are left onsite.
• On-site education about effective defensible space.
• Initial four to eight hours of defensible space clean up depending on property needs.
• Performed by professional contractors who insured.
• Must be over 65 or have a medical physical disability making it impossible for you to do the clean-up work yourself.
• Must be deemed financially unable to hire a contractor. “Rule of thumb” guidelines are below, however all applications will be considered. Applicants will ultimately need to self-certify that they would be unable to perform or finance work on their own :
• One-person household: Income is less than $2,842 (monthly) or $34,100 (annually)
• Two-person household: Income is less than $3,246 (monthly) or $38,950 (annually)
Please follow the link to the online form to sign up for the program. If you do not have internet access, please call the Mendocino County Fire Safe Council at 707-462-3662 to sign up.
• This program is funding dependent and services are offered on a first-come, first-served basis as program funds are available and as efficient scheduling of contractors permits. HOWEVER, if applications are not sufficient to expend all funds the program administrator may relax the income guidelines. Applications will be retained that do not meet the current guideline.
• Dead tree removal is not included in this service.
This program is offered by the Mendocino County Fire Safe Council. Funding provided by a grant from Pacific Gas and Electric Company through the California Fire Safe Council. Current funding extends only through November 2020, SO BE QUICK. However, if you qualify and your work cannot be funded with current grant resources we will keep your application in file for future potential opportunities.
In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.