The Mendocino County Fire Safe Council encourages road associations, homeowner groups, subdivisions, towns, and any housing clusters to create their own local Fire Safe Councils. These groups need not have a formal or legal structure; they need only the desire to make themselves fire safe and to educate and encourage their neighbors to do the same. The MCFSC is available to – and does — assist local Councils in these ways:
- Leading or participating in local educational events
- Providing educational materials for local distribution
- Connecting local Councils with Fire Safe service providers and vendors, other Councils, and anyone else who can assist their efforts
- Seeking grant funding for vegetation reduction or address/signage projects
- Providing financial services such as holding trust funds or administering grant monies
- Generally assisting with administrative, business, financial, and legal functions, leaving local groups free to do on-the-ground projects and education
Each Local Fire Safe Group/Council identifies and prioritizes areas for hazardous fuel reduction treatments and has identified the types and methods of treatments and programs that will help protect the community and its essential infrastructure. Each plan contains recommended measure that homeowners and the community can take to reduce the ignitability of structures within the corresponding group/council area.