Fire Safe Roof Grant
Replace flammable roofing materials with fire-resistant materials to harden homes against wildfire.
About the Fire Safe Roof Project
The Redwood Complex Ignition-Resistant Construction project will help homeowners replace flammable roofing materials with non-flammable materials to make homes more resistant to wildfire in the high and very high fire hazard severity zones (FHSZ), as designated by the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE). Ultimately this project aims to improve community resiliency and prevent loss of life and property.
FEMA has awarded Mendocino County this Hazard Mitigation Grant to provide replacement rebates for homeowners who work with an approved contractor to install Class A fire-resistant roofing, attic vents, and gutter covers on residential structures. Participants will be reimbursed for approximately 70% of the cost to install a Class A roof, roof/attic vents, and gutter covers.
Please review the FAQ. If you still have questions, you may email email@example.com or call (707) 485-4598.
To Qualify You Must:
- Own a home in the high or very high fire hazard severity zones in Mendocino County. To find out if your home qualifies, click here to look at the CalFire map designating the FHSZ. (Click the “binocular” icon to type in your address; if the area behind the red dot that denotes your address is orange, pink, or red, you are in a qualifying zone.)
- Have a roof that does not meet the Class A standards for home hardening.
- Agree to maintain defensible space around your home for the life of the roof.
- Consent to a free inspection by a historical architecture consultant if your home is older than 47 years.
- Get a roofing quote from an approved contractor.
- Be able to pay for the full cost of the roof up front and receive the rebate 6-12 months later. Loan assistance is available to all participants through Savings Bank of Mendocino County, regardless of credit history or income.
To learn more about this opportunity, you are invited to attend one of the following meetings:
- Tuesday, August 3, 5:30-7:00 pm: Ukiah Valley Conference Center, 200 S School St, Ukiah
- Wednesday, August 4, 5:30-7:00 pm: Harwood Hall, 44400 Willis Ave., Laytonville
- Thursday, August 5, 5:30-7:00 pm: Fort Bragg Grange, 2650 North Highway 1, Fort Bragg
The online meetings via Zoom did not record properly and therefore we cannot post the links here; we apologize for the inconvenience. If you can’t attend a meeting and your questions are not answered here or in the FAQ, please call or email the grant manager at (707) 485-4598 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are currently open and are accepted on a rolling basis. Staff will begin to review applications in the order they are received on Monday, August 16. Once your application has been reviewed, a staff member will contact you with next steps.
Loan assistance is available for ALL applicants, regardless of credit history, through Savings Bank of Mendocino County.
Roof installation will happen in spring and summer 2022 (subject to change pending FEMA approval).